Statcounter

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Vagamon and Kuttikanam - only a short drive from home..!!!!

I have seen people setting out to places of historical importance, places where there is a lot happening ,places where they can party all night. And there a few many like me who want to get away- get away from monotony, get away from stress, get away from reality.




But after you come back from a trip that is so relieving and unwinding , you understand that the getaway that you think that is- ironically brings you even closer to reality. But only to face it with more conviction , a different perspective altogether (at least for a while :P till you need another one). For such an awakening, you definitely need a quiet place - may be a hill station, may be the countryside, may be your favorite hideout where you can easily strike a chord with something or everything and introspect.


Memories are amazing!..As I write this, I have the postcard from Parunthumpara pinned up in front of me. Have you ever wondered how a souvenir can snap back your memories just like that ?


I usually like to trip/drive alone or may be with a close friend. Family trips for me are once in a while. Because it's difficult to have everyone available. But we still manage to have a few good trips together :). One of my cousins took the initiative this time and mentioned 'Vagamon and Kuttikanam'. The red
 t-shirt in the postcard. The one who has the 'rayban' and 'the note 5'. And who never missed a chance to flaunt them all through the trip...:P..

Whenever I hear someone mention 'trip', I go all pumped up and say 'I'm in' right away. There's no thinking twice. Thanks to my job that is sick-boring, offers much free time and thankfully pays well. Touch wood! (Like really?. A job that is not your passion, a job that you don't enjoy doing. Anyways, I'd rather not complain and be thankful instead.).

I immediately called up every one I know who'd be interested. Pity, we could manage to get only two families together from the long list that we are. I was so pissed off in the beginning when I got a 'no' from many. Then again, the less understanding and the selfish person I am, always fail to get the bigger picture. They were occupied and had other priorities. 

Vagamon and Kuttikanam!
The idea was to start off early in the morning. And the punctual kid Kitty is
, got late by 15 mins...... :D. The plan was 6.30 am precisely. But we had been delayed by half-an-hour already. And now that everyone is ready by 7 , I'm not :/. I tell to myself -" Ok you guys are late by nearly an hour and I'm 15 min more late. What big deal.?..We don't have a flight to catch!. Don't just spoil the fun already!."
Now there is no excuse whatsoever for being late. Even as my ego gets bruised , and as I lay out my points before them one by one, back of my mind I take the feedback positively and take an oath (fingers crossed :P) not to be the last-minute rusher anymore.
Rest assured, I won't bore you with another 30 minutes in the car being a victim to my father's complaints and advice. Not to blame him, "but this is no time!. I just missed a rare-mountain flora. Let me give heed to the sounds of water, the chirp of birds !." 

A halt at eco park restaurant reverses the mood entirely for all of us. And the phone call that said ," don't rush we are running late too (family 2) " Like yaay!. The hammock and the tree house in the restaurant saved me , for otherwise the food sucked and the ambience sucked more from inside. How could some one possibly get dosa all wrong?. The restaurant had a decent look from outside and many tourists had dropped by there. As they say - looks can be deceptive.


Throughout the drive, you are looking at mountains covered in fog. Huge ones! And it's overwhelming to know that you are trailing long curls only to climb up one mountain then hopping on to another.


The gulmohar trees by the side - the red ones. The tea plantations. The brooks and waterfalls. The ponds and that amazing variety of flora you get to see only in places like this. I can go on!
We dipped our feet in the water and the
 chill just went up our spine!
The fence that was broken to our luck!!.

               
We covered Vagamon (Pine valley is a must visit here ,we stopped by there when we returned) and drove on to Parunthumpara via Kuttikanam. 


There are many good churches, amazing sights and intriguing small roads you pass by. Small roads you would want to walk along and find out where they lead to!. Since that was nowhere in the chart and sadly will never be on a family trip, did not really complain for missing them. I would definitely want to walk through those lost routes someday if I ever get a loving and daring company to trip with. 

We had lunch from Himarani, Kuttikanam.They have two or more restaurants around Kuttikanam.
 
The cows grazing on top of the mountains, fearless of losing 
their grip make you wonder! 

Parunthumpara (bird's eye) is sure a view !.

Blowing away appoopan thaadi !!!  See the rock that stood apart behind us , where you 
can spot a few daring adventurers sitting ?.That's the spot we missed - since we were under strict observation.
 Parents and their rules I tell you! 


Mountains meet here and you get to look around from the highest point and see only mountains. I could just stare into the distance, the wilderness. How I wish I had wings to fly. 

I decided to fly away a few bubbles instead - till they got lost in distance and I kept staring !!!..

2 comments: